Information gathered by Cincinnati Research and Paranormal Studies
The building that Weber, Dickey, & Bellman now occupy used to be a firehouse for Engine Company No. 30
Location: 1726 Young Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Current Owner: Michael Weber
Previously: 1889-1920 Engine Company 30 / Hose Company 30
The following information was giving to us by the Cincinnati Research and Paranormal Studies by a friend’s father who was an executive at Taft for many years. (We thank him for the information).
The building at 1718 Young Street in Mt. Auburn that is identified as being the home of WLWT, or Channel 5, was built and occupied by Taft Broadcasting Company in the early '70s as its corporate headquarters. This was after the company's explosive growth during the '60s had made the space a small corporate staff occupied in the WKRC radio and TV station on Highland Avenue too small for the parallel growth in the complexities of a growing company and the corporate staff that oversaw its management. The building was situated at the intersection of Young and Slack Street on a plot of land on the crest of what is known as Prospect Hill that had been acquired earlier.
Taft Broadcasting built and owned Kings Island as well as amusement parks in other locations in the U.S. and Canada.
Kings Island Real Estate Company was a company subsidiary into which various ancillary properties, such as the old firehouse at 1726 Young Street, were organizationally located.
The unused firehouse was purchased by Taft from the city sometime in the '70s and left vacant for a time. However, eventually it was renovated and configured for use by some company operations: the company's printing operation was moved from Highland Avenue into the basement, the first floor was converted into offices, and the second floor into two guest rooms with adjoining baths. Kings Island Real Estate Company and a subsidiary of Hanna-Barbera that marketed H/B character-themed merchandise did, indeed, occupy offices in the building as well as a company that represented sports figures, including, as I recall, Johnny Bench and Pete Rose, although I may be incorrect on claiming them as clients. Another example of the scope of the real estate operation is the Jack Nicklaus golf course in Mason and the "landominiums" built around it, both of which were developed by Taft.
Later on, the properties comprising Taft's Amusement Park Group were bought out by the Group's executives. The remainder of Taft's holdings, principally AM and FM radio and television stations across the country, cable systems, and movie and television production facilities (including Hanna-Barbera) and program distribution and syndication companies on both coasts were acquired by Carl Lindner of Cincinnati and Robert Bass of Texas. The name, Taft Broadcasting Company, was retained by Dudley Taft, then president, as well as one or two of the TV stations.
The following photos are from www.cfdhistory.com and other varies research materials.
You can learn more about other historic firehouses around the Cincinnati area at www.cfdhistory.com.
In this photo, you can see our beloved firehouse as well as some of the old homes that set on Prospect Hill that is now 1718 Young Street in Mt. Auburn that is identified as being the home of WLWT, or Channel 5.
Somewhere under those flowers there is a fire engine! The crew of Fire Company 30 poses during a parade or some other festive event. The young lady must have had some prominence to be riding in her flower encrusted chair atop the apparatus.
Photo Steve Hagy Collection
Engine Company 30 operated this 2 tank chemical unit.
Photo Steve Hagy Collection
Firefighter Fred Hilton, pictured here around 1910, was a member of Engine Company 30. This company was first organized on December 13, 1889, at Yound and Slack Streets. Engine Company 30, along with many others during the early 1920s, was disbanded in 1920 due to the increased efficiency as the department motorized its force.
This is not a photo of Engine Company 30, but it is of a firehouse common area during 1907-1908. It gives you an idea of what the interior of our building may have looked like.
This is not a photo of Engine Company 30, but it is of a firehouse sleeping area located on the second floor, during 1907-1908. It gives you an idea of what the interior of our building may have looked like.
The quarters of Engine 30 as they appeared around 1965. The building had not been used as a fire station for over 40 years when this photo was taken.
Photo by Pat Holz